Tonight I am making yogurt. I tried a few months ago to make yogurt with mediocre success. I didn't have a digital read thermometer back then and I think that will make a big difference this time around. I got the Pampered Chef one and I really like it (although hubby tells me it takes too long to read the temperature). I did some research and found that a lot of people find powdered milk renders a better product than fresh milk so I'm trying that.
Ingredients:
5 cups water
225 grams instant skim milk powder
1 1/4 cup half and half cream
1/2 cup 2% Liberty yogurt (plain) for starter
Method:
In a large saucepan, heat water to 190*F. While you're waiting, measure out your milk powder and reconstitute with about1/2 cup warm water. Use a good whisk to make sure there are no lumps. Once the water is up to temperature pour in the milk powder and the half and half, stirring well. Bring the temperature back up to about 180*F and hold it around that temperature for half an hour. You don't need to keep it at exactly 180* just around there. I brought it up to that and then reduced the heat to #3 on my stove and then took off to drink a cup of tea and eat some popcorn. Take the pan off of the stove and allow it to cool to about 110*F. Add the plain yogurt, stirring well to eliminate any lumps.Pour into clean glass mason jars and place in the oven with the light on to maintain a warm temperature. Go to bed. In the morning you should have yogurt although you will want to chill it in the fridge to help it thicken up.
Once you've made your first batch of yogurt you can use your own yogurt to make future batches but be sure to open a fresh jar so that you don't risk putting in contaminated bacteria.
2 comments:
I just wanted to point out that I used Liberty yogurt as my starter because I like them a lot but you can use any brand of yogurt that has live bacterial culture.
Homemade yogurt is so delicious. My Mom bought me a yogurt maker last year and Abby just loves it with fresh blueberries and cinnamon :)
Post a Comment