Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Grandma's Lemon Loaf

This recipe was hand written in purple pencil crayon on a piece of loose scrap paper. I'm pretty sure it's one of grandma's older recipes because she seems to have been practising her signature "Mrs. B.R. Christenson" in the margins of the page. I'm typing the recipes as written for the effect. As with any experienced cook there are probably some assumptions made about the cook's knowledge of what order to add ingredients and what to do with them. Enjoy.

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 lemon rind
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup flour
1tsp baking powder

Nuts optional
Loaf pan 45 minutes*
Frost with 1/4 cup sugar mixed with juice of lemon + pour over while hot.

*I'm assuming oven temp is 350*F

3 comments:

A. Smith said...

Hi Anna, it's cousin Amber :) I missed you guys at the reunion because we just couldn't get there with such a busy August. I'm so glad to see you posting some family recipes. I'll be trying this one out very soon. All my love to you and the fam.

Unknown said...

Amber, great to hear from you. We missed you at the reunion but totally understand about the business of August! Do let me know how it turns out if you try this and maybe even send me a photo or two. :)

A. Smith said...

Ok will do. Do you still have that recipe book my mom made? I think Gail might have it - there are a whole bunch of Pat's recipes in there that we use often. Her Cherry Loaf and Hot Turkey Salad are fantastic.